Thursday, September 13, 2007

Storm in a teacup

Oh, the drama. The fashion world is all a-tizzy because the Marc Jacobs show in New York on Monday started late. Because that has never, ever happened before. When a designer is notorious for starting his shows at least an hour late, never mind two (as was the case this season), why, oh why, would anyone show up on time, as fashion writer Lynn Yaeger did? "Only when I got to the front door at 9 [did I find out it was late]," she told Women's Wear Daily. "I am livid." Somewhat wiser fashion editors whiled away the time drinking margaritas at the Dos Caminos restaurant, while Vogue editrix Anna Wintour even had time to pack for her trip to London (saith she - do you really believe she does her own packing?). Meanwhile, a rumor started going around that Jacobs, who this year went to rehab for his ongoing battle against addictions, was sitting in the Mercer Hotel restaurant or bar while his guests were waiting. Both Jacobs and Robert Duffy, president of Marc Jacobs International, strongly dispute this story.

"That is bullshit! That is bullshit!" Jacobs told WWD. "I was at the f---ing office until the last fitting was over. I came back to the hotel — I hadn't been here in three days! I hadn't showered in three days! I slept on the couch in my office for 20 minutes three nights in a row — anyone at my office will tell you that. I got 20 minutes sleep Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night. The first shower I had was Monday at 8 before the rehearsal of our show. I did not have lunch, I did not have drinks, I did not have tea at the Mercer, I walked through the lobby; I live in this hotel."
Jacobs
Marc Jacobs after his shower on Monday

He then gets into this massive debate about the show schedules and Suzy Menkes's review of the show in the IHT before basically saying that if people have families to go to, they should just not attend the show. I have to say, I agree with him to a point. I once waited one hour and 45 minutes for a Galliano/Dior show. The most infernal thing was listening to the music, which was one of those New Agey soundtracks featuring Gregorian chants against a trip hop beat. I honestly thought I would lose my mind. But, people put up with it because it's fashion. So, Marc: make an effort to be on time next season. And fashion editors: relax, there's another three weeks to get through.

No comments: