Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Beckham effect

I must confess to a guilty fascination moment during fashion week. New pals Victoria Beckham and Katie Holmes caused a sensation by appearing together at shows including Chanel, Giambattista Valli and Yves Saint Laurent.
Victoria & Katie
(Photo Greg Kessler/Style.com)

It was day six of the ready-to-wear shows and I must confess to feeling somewhat jaded, having interviewed Kanye West, Lenny Kravitz and Dita Von Teese and spotted Janet Jackson, Monica Bellucci and the Olsen twins, to name but a few. So I was surprised when I could not peel my eyes off the tiny Demoiselle Beckham, wearing skinny jeans and a black cape with gold embroidery, standing in the cordoned-off VIP section after Stefano Pilati's show for YSL. With her sleek bob and pert little nose, she is ultra recognizable and - dare I say it - has star quality. OK, I hang my head in shame. Those who want to check out the Beckham effect in the flesh can join several hundred other fans at her book signing at London department store Selfridges on Monday.

Beckham

"We've had an unprecedented number of enquiries about Victoria's appearance at the Selfridges Oxford Street store. Judging by the huge amount of people wanting to be here for Victoria's visit on Monday, I think That Extra Half An Inch will be in a lot of Christmas stockings this year – it's obviously going to be a best seller," store director Tracey Mann was quoted as saying on vogue.co.uk.

No comments: