Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Couture hits fever pitch

It was the usual madness today chez Chanel, which really outdid itself on the guest list: Sigourney Weaver, Victoria Beckham, Diane Kruger, Vanessa Paradis, Sofia Coppola, Sean Lennon, Marianne Faithfull, Rachel McAdams, Kate Bosworth, not to mention the usual slew of French actresses, led by Chanel muse Anna Mouglalis. It really felt like a who's who of fashion.
Chanel
The bride at Chanel passes in front of French first lady Bernadette Chirac (in the pink suit) and brewing heiress Daphne Guinness (far left) (photo: Joelle Diderich)

The clothes were impeccable - I was almost going to say "as usual", except that Karl Lagerfeld has had a few dodgy moments in the last 12 months, at least as far as I am concerned. I loved the dresses with ostrich feathers and the long skirts made from see-through tulle. But my favorite show today, I have to admit, was Givenchy.
GivenchyGivenchy
Givenchy designer Riccardo Tisci created a dramatic atmosphere with stark lighting and set design (photos: Joelle Diderich)

The label's Italian designer Riccardo Tisci has garnered mixed reviews (let's face it, who hasn't at Givenchy? It's like that label is cursed). If I have to agree that his ready-to-wear can be somewhat...puzzling, I loved the last two couture shows. This one was held in a theater warehouse on the outskirts of Paris where water leaked into puddles on a black asphalt catwalk (I hear you crying - PRETENTIOUS!). Well, it worked. The models were working a "French Lieutenant's Woman" vibe in their long dresses paired with military coats or long capes. Then they lingered behind a huge rainsoaked window, circled with mist. The Goth in me LOVED IT! I also got to talk to some great people today - Sean Lennon, who told me he was busy writing songs with Irina Lazareanu, the supermodel and former drummer with troubled rocker Pete Doherty's band Babyshambles.
Irina Lazareanu
Irina Lazareanu looking uncannily like a young Sonia Rykiel in this shot from a Jean Paul Gaultier show

Irina was given a helping hand by Kate Moss and in less than 12 months has become a favorite on the fashion circuit, though I will buck a trend and say her slouchy-shouldered, po-faced pose gets tired pretty quickly. I also chatted to Dita Von Teese, who refused to reveal any details of the secret performance she is due to give in Paris this week. I am hoping it will be at the Armani dinner tomorrow - I am dying to see her act. The nicest interview of the day was with Christian Lacroix, who was humble, witty and fascinating as ever.
LacroixLacroix
A dress from the Christian Lacroix show (left); the designer takes a bow with his catwalk bride, Lily Cole (photos: Joelle Diderich)

1 comment:

Jared said...

AMAZING dresses!!